Sunday, April 26, 2009

Installing J2EE 5.0 SDK on Ubuntu 8.10

Just 2 days back I installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop along with Windows XP and made my system multiboot. Next step was to get my tools onboard. i.e. J2SE SDK, J2EE SDK, Eclipse and list goes on...

So to start with I downloaded J2EE 5.0 self extracting bin file java_ee_sdk-5_01-linux.bin and started the installation after changing the file permissions (chmod a+x java_ee_sdk-5_01-linux.bin)

As soon as the installer started, it ended with an pinching error message...

./java_ee_sdk-5_01-linux.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory


My immediate thought was required shared library libstdc++.so.5 is missing with Ubuntu 8.10 release. So tried to get it using...

sudo apt-get install libstdc++5


This failed, saying no such package. Probably default packages does not list this. Then I started looking in /usr/lib and found libstdc++.so.6.0.10. Having found this I just made a soft link to libstdc++.so.5 to point to existing version 6.0.10.

ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.10 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5


Started again installation and everything went on fine and I was a happy man when I saw the output of...

java -version

:)

Cheers !!!
- Jay

10 comments :

  1. For me I found that the ln you suggest appears to work but I later get weirdness (blank install GUI)

    From the Sun forums I found that installing this package works: compat-libstdc++-33

    ReplyDelete
  2. "For me I found that the ln you suggest appears to work but I later get weirdness (blank install GUI)"

    Didnt quite get well what do you mean by blank install GUI? Can you elaborate please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I maximized the screen and then saw the content of the "blank install GUI"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks dude ..Your article really solved my problem

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! It was helpful!

    apt-get install libstdc++5

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. also from me: thanks !!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Disclaimer : This is a personal blog and all content represent what I think and it does not advocate/support/advertise any other person/company. I do not earn money or intended to do so with this blog or any of the contents the blog hosts (except the google ads which you see). If I post something here that you find helpful, that's wonderful. Just in case, if I say something stupid, the stupidity is mine, and mine alone and I can not be held for anything if you fall for such stupidity :-). I cannot be held responsible for any kind of damage that may be caused by downloading or viewing the files or information provided herewith. Anybody and everybody can use/refer the contents of this blog at their own will and of course at own risk. There is no need for any kind of approval of the author. Although it would be great if feedback is left for any such usage to the author.