Saturday, November 13, 2010

Upgrading Ubuntu To New Release Behind Proxy

At my work place I connect to internet via proxy (requiring username/password). I've one desktop running Ubuntu 10.04 and wanted to upgrade to 10.10 the latest long term release. Even after applying all the updates shown in Update Manager, I never get to see the availability of new release.

After lot of googling and playing around with proxy settings in Synaptic Package manager and also in Network Proxy, I found no success. On various forums also I see many facing the same problem. After some days of such struggle and trying different options to make update manager "read" my proxy settings I realized that Update Manager correctly detects the proxy settings to show the available updates, but the apt-get which actually checks for availability of new release does not "read" the proxy settings from the same location as Update Manager does.

So as suggested on Ubuntu help pages on setting up proxy, I tried to temporarily setup proxy by exporting http_proxy and then tried sudo apt-get update. Still the result was same. Still no option to upgrade to 10.10 :-(

After this I tried to change the proxy settings in /etc/apt/apt.conf to provide proxy along with the username/password. After saving the changes, apt-get successfully updated all the packages from the repositories and Update Manager showed me the 10.10 availability message.

So even though Ubuntu help page says that you can set the proxy temporarily by exporting http_proxy, it seems apt-get ignores http_proxy and always refers to atp.conf (/etc/apt/apt.conf). Well things are not always as it should be and it applies to worlds one of the best OS too.

Cheers !!!
- Jay

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write ups thanks once again.

    ReplyDelete

 
Disclaimer : This is a personal blog and all content represent what I think and it does not advocate/support/advertise any other person/company. I do not earn money or intended to do so with this blog or any of the contents the blog hosts (except the google ads which you see). If I post something here that you find helpful, that's wonderful. Just in case, if I say something stupid, the stupidity is mine, and mine alone and I can not be held for anything if you fall for such stupidity :-). I cannot be held responsible for any kind of damage that may be caused by downloading or viewing the files or information provided herewith. Anybody and everybody can use/refer the contents of this blog at their own will and of course at own risk. There is no need for any kind of approval of the author. Although it would be great if feedback is left for any such usage to the author.